Saturday, July 21, 2018

Back to school fever.

All 3 kids have new experiences headed their way and I may be more anxious/excited than they are. Here's a little back story for each kid:

Lo is starting middle school this year. The past year has been filled with ups and downs from emotional issues post divorce and all the garbage that spilled out after and then sharing a classroom with his soon to be and then now stepbrother. Not to mention he's always struggled to keep up and stay on top of his classwork; he's the kind (much like his mama) to leave school at school and home at home. It doesn't always work that way though.

Lillie is going into 4th grade, but for the first time in her life she will not have her brother in school with her or across the street even. She'll be all alone. Which, after our little mid summer mental breakdown and now possibly starting school while medicated, is leaving me a little on edge. She's been in the school system since she was 2.

Lou was transferred from Georgia's Babie's Can't Wait program into the public school system this time last year and had an AMAZING and transformational 1st year of preschool being that he had speech therapists, occupational therapists, AND teachers within arms reach 5 days a week. And while I'm so stoked about all his positive changes, he doesn't handle transitions well. At all. Going from school 5x a week to being home 24/7 for two straight months were a nightmare. At the end of the last school year during his yearly IEP meeting they informed me that he'd be transferring from the elementary school setting he was in to a different elementary school entirely. Same county, different school, different teachers. All of the special needs pre-k kiddos and teachers got shook up and dispersed elsewhere.

I want this year to be successful and productive and to exceed all expectations. I wanted that last year too, but we slacked big time by the end of the first full month due to childcare changes and time crunches. By the time I get off work at 6, I have to have the kids picked up from daycare by 6:30, dinner on the table by 7, so Lou can take a bath by 7:30 and in bed by 8. Following Lou is Lillie in bed by 9 and Lo in bed by 10... although I feel I will be eating my promises of later bed times in the mornings. Specifically with Lillie as she doesn't do mornings. EVER. I can hear past arguments like little voices in the back of my head. Screams from her about how we don't love her and she wishes she never had me for a mother and screeching through grit teeth. My one saving grace may be that all 3 will be on different buses and maybe, JUST MAYBE, there will be no bus stop meltdowns. A mom can dream, right?

So pray for us. There's only one of me and three of them. Let the countdown to first day begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment