Today was a day spent unearthing mountains of laundry and dishes that I'd been too distracted all week to even bother with. Yes, as a matter of fact I do still have two loads in laundry limbo and yes, I just had that thought as to whether or not the load in the wash would be skunky come morning if I just went ahead and gone to bed instead of doing the responsible thing and finishing what I started. Here are just a few thoughts outside of household chores that I've had floating through my head:
- Will "happily ever after" still exist by the time my own children are of age to settle down...
- Will I ever get a chance to sleep in, and I mean, REALLY sleep in? The kind of sleep where you go to bed peacefully, sleep through the night uninterrupted and wake up sans needy "roomies" or alarms?
- I am never getting out of this basement. The fates are constantly plotting against any and all chances of getting. out. of. this. BASEMENT.
- Why can't dishes and laundry do themselves?
- I wish I could afford private school. Lillie's teacher informed me today that my daughter makes her feel stupid.
- I wish I could stop myself from being responsible, just for a minute.
- I'm going to be 30 for the rest of my life. I'm never going to have a 31st, 32nd, 56th, etc. I'm going to turn 30 on Cinco de Mayo for the REST of my life. End of story, and nobody will question my motives.
- Eventually I will get around to my 30x30 post. EVENTUALLY. It will happen if I have to lock myself in my bedroom/craftroom with my laptop and an IV full of iced coffee.
- Did my grandfather just turn the AC off... again?
- How is it possible for 4 people to go through so many pairs of underwear in a week?
The kids had their very first dental checkups yesterday (keep in mind, little Honey Badger has been to the dentist before, but only because of that tooth we don't speak of in this house). It went as well as expected. Lo has a cavity which, to be honest, surprised the Hell out of me. Lillie wouldn't unclench her jaw long enough for the hygienist to do her job... so instead, our insurance paid for a very expensive tooth brushing... of just her front teeth. Today the little badger informed me that she's not scared anymore of the dentist. Isn't that nice.
The best part of being the oldest of 8 cousins, is that the last half of us are all under legal driving age... it also means I watch them a good deal pro bono. My children are smitten with their "cousins," but sometimes the feeling isn't as mutual. Which I get, because the age gap? It sucks. And having snot nosed little preschoolers follow you around when you're so much older SUCKS. The above photo is an active protest from my two and my poor adolescent cousin's little sister. In his defense, I tried my very best to keep them inside for some "quiet time." I mean, Lo did after all chase him for a little over an hour all over the back yard. He was a far better sport about it than I would have been. I effing hate playing "Star Wars" with Lo. HATE IT. Also? I'm a boring old Mommy with no Sci-Fi imagination whatsoever.