Sunday, March 25, 2012

(3) Films.



Short and sweet today. Three films that I can't live without.

Amelie.

First of all, I dragged my gay boyfriend (not really my boyfriend, but the only person I knew who would totally appreciate this film) to a small theater in downtown Atlanta because I heard nothing but rave reviews about this movie. When we arrived I wasn't feeling so hot, but pushed through thinking I could just sit and relax while watching the movie... and instead I became feverish. It was a VERY interesting movie with my own feverish hallucinations totally working in it's favor. I love the colors, the language, the entire mindset of this movie. It's simply a breathtaking work of art. My Mother? Hated it. After watching the trailer, I kind of want to watch it again for myself. I think I will! ((Inserting popcorn into microwave.))

Trainspotting.

I don't know how I first came upon watching this movie, I know I was young and impressionable, but I remember loving it from before I ever entered High School. After reviewing the trailer, I wonder how I got away with seeing it! My Mother must have never know, which of course means a friend had to introduce it to me, but even now I can't fathom any of my friends having seen this one before me. We were pretty square ifyouknowwhatImean. After watching this, I of course read Irvine Welsh's novel under the same title... AND every other book he'd written. Malibu Stork Nightmares is my favorite of his. It's completely effed up and just as colorful in language with it's butchered English, much like my love e. e. cummings. You have to read it in a Scottish accent or you'll never understand any of it. Trainspotting also turned me on to all things Danny Boyle. His works are amazing, or at least I think so. Shallow grave, Trainspotting, A Life Less Ordinary, The Beach, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Slumdog Millionaire... Pure genius. The Beach would have made the list, but alas, I could only write about three... and SO...

Moulin Rouge.

Are you sensing a theme yet? Amelie and Moulin Rouge (not only both based in France), but also both are very saturated with their colors and extremely surreal with their filming styles. Trainspotting and Moulin Rouge both involve Ewan McGregor as their Leading Male role. Coincidence? Absolutely not. Ewan McGregor in on "that list." This movie renewed my love in Baz Luhrmann's films. My first favorite of his being of course, Romeo + Juliet. When Romeo + Juliet came out I was barely out of Middle School and with all my hormones and love for all things Shakespeare (did I mention how square I was, TOTES SQUARE), it was the perfect movie for that time period of my life. Maybe I should have made this post about directors. Another day... I did, after all, work for Blockbuster Video most of my young adult life. There would be an entire post dedicated just to THAT as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment