Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Chicago. Day Numero Uno.


I haven't quite got the hang of recording with the iPhone, but I'm beginning to think I'm doing it all wrong. Got any pointers, innernets?

So yes, I have arrived safe and sound in Chicago after an exhausting morning filled with anxiety and panic. Yes, as a matter of fact I very well might have cried a bit and become a little emotional. I don't do well with change and/or having no control of what's happening in my life. Needless to say, I've been a bit overwhelmed with how fast life is currently moving for me. I mean, it's been less than a MONTH since I applied for a spot in this program and it wasn't even something I thought I'd come close to being chosen for. I DON'T WIN ANYTHING. Out of over 1,000 applicants, I was one of 25 chosen. That's a 2% chance of being chosen. I feel like I have a LOT to live up to.

Anyways, we made it to the airport under the impression that we were going to miss the first flight (the ONLY flight that looked like Mom -- my panic buddy -- might actually make it on to as a standby passenger.) Because she needed assistance thanks to her lovely "boot" and the inevitable delay from weather, we made it in record time AND we were able to get both of us on. Thanks to my "anxiety tummy" I hadn't eaten ANYTHING outside of my breakfast and an apple. It was close to 4:30 at that point. I scarfed down my snacks for the day and enjoyed the view. Have I mentioned it's been 4 1/2 years since I've flown last? I was EXCITED. This is also the very first time I've been to Chicago where there hasn't been 5 feet of snow on the ground, so seeing it in the daylight and arriving to temperatures slightly warmer than home is making me reconsider the OTHER word I used for Chicago. ((Think 4 letter word for poop + "ago.")) Also helps that I'm not ending my day covered head to toe in deicing fluid. That helps a little too.

"Plan" wise, while I feel like I cheated on the food diet today, I really honest to God didn't. Still doesn't keep me from feeling guilty. All the meals I've eaten from the BIG BOX OF FOOD have been damn near delicious. Better yet, I've been so stuffed by the end of the day both today and Yesterday, I haven't even wanted to check out my "Plan Cards" to see if there was anything else I forgot to eat. Today was tricky though, and tomorrow will hopefully not be as tricky. One of the first things I realized upon arriving to my room (after HOLY CRAP, we're right next to the presidential suite!!!) was the fact that I lacked a microwave to heat my meal/soup up with. No bueno, amigos! I called to see if there were any hidden staff rooms I could heat my food up in and next thing I knew, there was a Housekeeping dude toting a microwave to my room. Now that? Is service. I started setting my "table" with all the delicious goodness and realized that outside of my little southwestern chicken dish I had NOTHING by way of vegetables all day, I had my Mom order the most "greeny vegetabley" salad on the menu. It arrived with maybe a half cup each of goat cheese, dried blueberries and roasted almonds. I should have had Mom record my guilty face when I justified adding the "extras" seeing as I hadn't eaten anything other than my breakfast and snacks up until that point. I still feel guilty. It's a never ending battle of GUILT up in here.

So now I'm exhausted from all the anxiety, travel and last night's accidental choice of intense yoga (FEELIN THE BURN... STILL!) I've decided to hold off on my yoga till morning... plus? I totally packed TOO light, if there ever were such a thing.

Till Tomorrow, Chitlins!

I've always loved the view from up here. Almost like the clouds are not clouds at all, and just a cauliflower ground. I may or may not be jonesing for a "Midnight Snack."



Coming in over the lake. 

 

It wasn't until after I took this picture that I realized I could "zoom in" on the city's skyline.


I told him to smile like he was gettin' paid.


Mom's sweet ride. The rims were huge! What it was lacking in "spinners" it made up for in service. That poor guy was too nice to put up with my "nervous chatter."


25th Floor. The tippy tippy top. Maybe it's just me, but something's wrong if your ears "pop" while riding an elevator. The neighboring building is twice this tall. Insanity!


Dinner. Southwester Chicken and Rice with Tomato soup and probably the most expensive salad I've ever (and will ever) eaten in my life.

2 comments:

  1. I'll be your panic buddy anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) No offense, but I'm gonna let them pay for the Husband and kids to come up if they offer for me to come back in November. :) I still love you!!!

    ReplyDelete