Thursday, January 26, 2012

Vintage Supahmama

May 6th, 2010
It's funny what time does...

10 years ago, I never knew I could melt at the site of the curls on the napes of their necks. I never knew them. I never knew their scents or their laughs or that I could create two little beings who love each other more than I even knew I could love THEM. It's funny, that old man, that Father Time.

We tend to take for granted the little things, the things we don't even know we would miss.

10 years ago, I held the secrets of the way their lips curl when they smile at me deep in the recesses of my body. I held their future whispers, their happiness and pain. All of these things I couldn't even fathom that my body in time would give to me.

I started this blog in the hopes that I'd be some great Blogger who was followed by thousands. I started it hoping to give this adult a voice in a world of Dora, Diego, juice, snacks and naps... did I mention tantrums and time outs? I didn't, oh... those too.

This blog won't be missed by the millions of rss feeds my address is missing from. But I know it exists and that is all that matters in the grand scheme of things.

12 comments:

  1. Thank you! I get so bummed sometimes b/c I see these just sort of OK blogs with 10,000 comments. And think, I write better than that. But if I spent the time networking and promoting my ass off I'd miss all the little things and they're not going to last forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Andrea, you're so very welcome! I have to stop myself from good old envy when I see people with LITERALLY hundreds of followers. Like you, I've realized it would take so much more work than it's worth and my "little employers" are not going to sit patiently behind my office chair while I plug away hours to promote myself.

      Speaking of which, thank you for visiting! ;)

      Delete
  2. You aren't leaving me, are you? Because I have abandonment issues! I decided that I was just going to write for me, and read the blogs I care about. Like yours. I don't have tons of time to do otherwise. But I LOVE your sense of humor and your writing style. I hope that you keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, DEFINITELY not leaving!!! This was a post I'd written last year during a turning point in my blogging. I don't want to blog in an attempt to gain hundreds of readers, I want my motivating force to be the kids and giving them a place to come back and read about the events that lead to my institutionalization... er... I mean... What?

      Delete
  3. My blog started out as a way to share stories and pictures of my daughter with family and friends who live hours and states away (the only family around us are my parents). But it turned into much more... it's my way of being heard through the hurricane of children that is my home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My original blog (the one I'm taking the "Vintage Supahmama" posts from) was started as a safe place for me to vent and write without scrutiny from my family. At times, I feel smothered by them, but now I just let it roll off my back. This blog? Domestic Mischief? It's laying it all out there. Good times, bad times, and putting my voice out there into the world so my children can come back and see that I really was just as crazy as they'd always assumed. ;)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. So much vintage!!! Doing NaBloPoMo for February. I think if I can get my old pics scanned in from when I was flying, I should have enough posts to TOTALLY succeed!

      Delete
  5. "I know it exists and that's all that matters in the grand scheme of things" this is exactly why I started my blog...as my outlet. Self promotion is way over my head right now. I'm just typing!

    I read through the comments above and agree with what each of these people have said. More people out here like me. Thanks for visiting me earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any personal mission other than giving my kids a part of my heart that they won't understand till they're old and decrepit like me. ;) I'm so glad you came back and visit ME! :)

      Delete
  6. I am with you in the world of Diego and Dora and tantrums and time outs... lol. I guess I started blogging to have an adult voice somewhere in the world, somewhere where I didn't have to talk on a toddler level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you're still referring to yourselves as "Mommy and Daddy" after they're in bed, that's when you need to have a heart to heart with yourself. And that, is how a blog is born.

      Delete